The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) program allows high school students to focus
their learning on a specific economic sector where they gain sector-specific skills.
The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) is a specialized program approved by the Ministry
of Education that allows students to focus their learning on a specific economic sector
while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
These programs enable students to gain sector-specific skills and knowledge in engaging,
career-related learning environments, and prepare in a focused way for graduation
and postsecondary education, training or employment.
Together, these requirements provide the curriculum-based and experiential learning
experiences for making a successful transition to a student’s chosen pathway.
• Bundle of Gr. 11 & 12 Courses
• Reach Ahead Opportunities
• Cooperative Education
• Sector Specific Partnered Experiences in Math, Coding or ICE (Innovation, Creativity & Entrepreneurship)
Pursuing a SHSM enables students to:
• Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents
• Develop specialized knowledge and skills that are valued by the sector and postsecondary education institutions
• Earn credits that are recognized by the sector and postsecondary education institutions
• Acquire sector-specific and career-relevant certification and training
• Gain confidence in their knowledge of the SHSM Sector
• Identify, explore and refine their career goals and make informed decisions about their postsecondary destination
• Remain flexible, with the option to shift between pathways