Introduction: Prior to working on the Skill Builders, introduce the Design Challenge scenario to the students, and explain that they will be working through a variety of Skill Builders that will enable them to work successfully on the Design Challenge.
Design Challenge Scenario:
You will be working in teams of 2 to design and construct a model of a transporting sled and a pulley and/or gear system that will pull/push the sled with the car onto the crusher platform.
- Your device must move the sled with car at least a distance of 50 cm onto a target (representing the opening to the crusher).
- You must use only the supplied materials to construct your device.
- The model must not be taller than 20cm and must not be longer than 20cm.
Prior Knowledge and Skills
- characteristics and uses of pulleys and gears
- practice making pulleys and pulley systems to change direction, speed and force
- practice making gears and gear systems to change direction, speed and force
- Skill Builder 1 - Tool Identification and Safety
- Skill Builder 2 – Characteristics of Pulleys
- Skill Builder 3 – Using Pulleys and Pulley Systems
- Skill Builder 4 – Characteristics of Gears
- Skill Builder 5 – Using Gears and Gear Systems
- Skill Builder 6 – Using Pulleys and Gears Together
- Skill Builder 7 – Design Process